Monday, June 14, 2010

Nyxen's Review of "Devil's Kiss"

Devil's Kiss by Sarwat Chadda
327 Pages
Disney Hyperion Books 2009

Fifteen-year-old Billi SanGreal never meant to make history. Dragged at the age of ten into the modern-day Knights Templar by her father, the Grandmaster, Billi's the first girl ever to be a Templar warrior. Her life is a rigorous and brutal round of weapons' practice, demon killing and occult lore – and a lot of bruises. But then temptation is placed in Billi's path – an alternative to her isolated life. But temptation brings consequences. In this case – the tenth plague – the death of all first borns and so Billi must choose her destiny. And as she soon discovers, death isn't even the worst...



I bought this books a while back but I was never really interested in it until I started this blog. I read the premise and I thought "Eh, nothing special." I have no idea what I was thinking, though! I picked up this book and was immediately caught by surprise.

Sarwat Chadda writes an incredible story about a young, 15 year old girl trapped within her own family. Since she was born, Billie was meant to be apart of the modern day's Knight Templar, something she never wanted. She has been training all her life for that moment to be accepted but it something she doesn't want to be apart of. She tries desperately to get out but her dad - tall, dark, and cold-hearted - is set on her becoming a member. Not only does she have to worry about that but her long time best friend returns from Jerusalem and she is conflicted about her feelings.

This novel was just phenomenal. I read it and loved it. Chadda writes in a way that keeps you on your toes. Not only did he write from a girl's perspective but he also got the elements of a teenage girl right, even if she wasn't normal. I thought Chadda's writing was flawless and his novel is cleverly written. The plot line was understanable and the plot twists were amazing. Chadda writes about all supernatural creatures in their fiercest moments. It's up to Billie SanGreal, the incredibly talented herione, to save what is left of humanity.

Sarwat Chadda is brilliant and his book was just amazing. I can't wait for the sequel.

I rate this novel Five Stars.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review! I read this book awhile ago and thought it was pretty great, and I'm looking forward to the sequel as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to comment! I would love to hear your opinions about this blog!