Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Nyxen's Review of "Wicked Lovely"

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
328 Pages
Harper Teen 2007

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.
Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty - especially if they learn of her Sight - and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.
Now faeries are stalking her. One of tthem, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.
But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King, who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. he is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost - regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life;
everything.
Faery intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of antient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning twenty-first century faery tale.


Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr was one of the most unique books I have ever read. Aislinn, the main character, is a very strong-willed, stubborn teenage girl but I really liked her. I really related to "Ash"- her nickname - in many ways. The plot was written in an outstanding manner that everything seemed to flow perfectly on the page. The descriptions were also written beautifully and I thought I was actually living in Ash's world. Everything about this book was amazing.

Aislinn has lived her whole life by three rules. Her grandmother made sure follow them. But once the fey start taking interest in her, Aislinn's world is thrown upside down. Nothing in her life is the same, especially when the Summer King, Kennan, takes a liking in her: telling her she's his Summer Queen. Aislinn doesn't believe it, but she knows it's true deep down. She just doesn't want any part of the faery world because of Seth, her kind-of-beau. But the world is in danger from the Winter Queen and the only way to stop her is if the Summer King and Summer Queen unite - if Aislinn accepts the thrown to bring back Summer. But will Aislinn do it if it means losing her Grandmother and Seth?

That is my summary of the book in only so many words. It really is a great novel. My favorite character was Seth, despite him being a guy. He seemed like such a tough guy but when with Aislinn, anyone could tell he was very sweet and sensitive and vulnerable. I really loved Seth and Ash as a couple so when Keenan comes in I really wanted to strangle him for getting in the way. I honestly did get annoyed by him and I didn't succumb to his sexiness.

Even though I really enjoyed this novel, there was something missing in it, for me. I expected something bigger at the end. I wanted at least a tragefy. Don't get me wrong, I loved that it was a happy ending but I wanted someone to die - someone that wasn't the antagonist. I also never understood where Aislinn's friends went. One chapter they were there and the next *Poof* they were gone. Vanished from thin air...or page. And it also took me a long time to read this book. I don't know why but I wasn't as captivated as the other books I read. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I will definietly be reaading the other novels in the series, though.

I rate this book Four Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to comment! I would love to hear your opinions about this blog!