Friday, July 30, 2010

Nyxen Has Emily From Emily's Reading Room On The Blog

Happy Friday everyone. Today is a special day. Want to know why? For starters, it's Friday! And it's almost the end of the week which means my trip to Colorado is nearly finished. But most importantly we have Emily from Emily's Reading Room.

Take it away Emily!

--------------------
Top Five Twisted Fairy Tales

It’s no secret, some of my favorite books of all time are based off classic fairy tales. There is something truly magical about taking a story that you know by heart and turning it on its head, breathing new life into a story you love. I want to share with you my top five twisted fairy tales.

1. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

This book was a Newberry award winner for a reason. Gail Carson Levine said the inspiration for this story came while she was thinking about Cinderella and how she was just too obedient. In Ella Enchanted, Ella is cursed to be perfectly obedient. When her father remarries after her mother’s death, she is tormented by her stepmother and stepsisters who learn of her curse. I love Ella and all the creative ways she gets around having to be totally obedient. If you haven’t read this one, it’s a must read.

2. The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

Shannon Hale is possibly my favorite author of all time, and I’m lucky enough to have her as a local author. I had the opportunity to meet her at an event at my local library a few months back, and she is incredibly nice. I find myself recommending The Goose Girl over and over again. Ani is delightful, and is a decided improvement from the original story. And Geric? Utterly charming

3. The Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

Jessica Day George is also a local author. I have every one of her published works signed. The Princess of the Midnight Ball is a retelling of the 12 Dancing Princesses. I’ve read quite a few retellings of this one, but Jessica Day George’s is my favorite. She manages to make every one of those sisters have a personality. And the villain is deliciously scary.

4. Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier

Wildwood Dancing is another retelling of The 12 Dancing Princesses, sort of. It’s also got a bit of The Frog Prince mixed in, and a dash of vampires. Many know Juliet Marillier for her adult novels, but I was utterly charmed by this retelling. Jena is self-sacrificing and such a good older sister. And I know everyone will love the Frog and hate Cezar.

5. Beastly by Alex Flinn

I think that Alex Flinn will become the Robin McKinley of modern fairy tale retellings. Beastly was such a fun book, and I was pleased to see that it is going to be made into a movie coming out next year. Kyle’s insights into his situation are hilarious and tragic at the same time. One of my favorite parts of the book is when he talks about how he can relate to the phantom from Phantom of the Opera. Read this book for hilarious dialogue and great supporting characters.

Thanks to Bianca for inviting me over! I hope you’ll all come see me at Emily’s Reading Room.

---------------------

Thanks so much, Emily! You were awesome. Beastly is one of my favorite fairy tale re-tellings.

Be sure to check out Emily's site at Emily's Reading Room.

Tomorrow will be an author interview. Be sure to check it out.

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Great guest post! I loved The Goose Girl too! I checked out the audio book from the library and the full cast audio was amazing. I will have to see about some of these others!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to comment! I would love to hear your opinions about this blog!