Thursday, September 30, 2010

Nyxen's Review of "Sharing Sam"

Sharing Sam by Katherine Applegate
155 Pages
Delacorte Press 1995

Alison Chapman has always believed she'd fall in love hard. And she does-with Sam Cody, a new guy with a gorgeous face and brooding eyes, a guy who's impossible to resist. When Sam asks her to the Valentine's Day dance, Alison is elated... until she finds out that her best friend, Isabella Cates-Lopez, has fallen for Sam, too... until she finds out that Isabella is dying. Now Alison wants Isabella's last days to be her happiest ever-even if she and Sam have to hide their love. Even it, bu sharing Sam, Alison risks losing him forever.

Katherine Applegate's poignant novel of love, loss, and the sacrifices made for true friendship will stir reader's hearts.


I thought this was a very sweet novel. Katherine Applegate takes us on a journey filled with so much emotion and understanding. I don't read much contemporary novels but when I do I usually love them because I don't expect much from them. That's what I thought with this one. Sharing Sam tells the story of a love triangle, but the twist is, one of the girls, Isabella, is very sick. So, Alison, the main character, let's her friend date the boy. It's simple really and right to the point.

There was only one major flaw that really bugged me. It was so short, which means it was going to be a quick novel. The beginning started off quickly and it just went on from there. It's a love story and the way they fell in love was sort of unbelievable. The fell too quickly for my taste, and I just didn't like. Now, if the book was longer, Applegate could have started their relationship off slower and have it progress in a way that could have worked.

I also felt the main character was off. I got kind of pissed off that she was letting her first love date her best friend. That just meant I couldn't really connect with the characters. And it didn't really hit me until the end.

This book will make you cry. I honestly thought I wasn't but I did. And I loved it.

I rate this novel Four Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to comment! I would love to hear your opinions about this blog!