Friday, November 19, 2010

30 Days of Harry Potter (Day 19 - TheStorySiren & Premiere Day)



TODAY IS THE DAY! TODAY IS THE WORLD PREMIERE OF HARRY POTTE AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 1. I am freaking out right now. I never thought this day would come.

And we also have an amazing blogger on today. :D

Please welcome the guru of all bloggers, Kristi from The Story Siren!

--------------------
I still remember the first time I met Harry Potter. It wasn’t in the pages of one of the Harry Potter novels, but on the big screen of the first Harry Potter movie.

I recall the details of that day quite vividly. It was November 2001... I was in my senior year of high school. My baby sister Laci’s class had finished reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, and as a treat the class was meeting at the theater to watch the movie.

Like so many older siblings I often got stuck driving my younger ones around. So, I had been volunteered (thanks Mom!) to take Laci to the movies that day. I honestly didn’t mind, it was a Saturday matinee and I had the day off, so I had nothing better to do. It was at a refurbished theater in the town when first lived in when we moved to northern Indiana. (The first movie was saw there was Snow White when the theater was newly redone.) Unfortunately, only a handful of Laci’s classmates had made it to the theatre.

Come to find out, I absolutely loved the movie, as did Laci, and shortly after I devoured her copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone that she had at home. I will never forget the sound of awe that filled the theater from those kids watching that movie.... that was surreal.

The rest is history.

I’ve read every book several times. They are the only books I read during college besides my textbooks. I stood in line at midnight for the last two books of the series, with kids, grandparents, mothers & fathers. I have seen every movie multiple times and own all that have been released. I drag my husband to the premiers of every new Harry Potter movie, although he really enjoys it, just don’t tell him I told you. Harry Potter is actually the only other series he has read, besides Lord of the Rings. And that’s saying a lot because he hates to read. (Opposites attract, what can I say.)

I’m sad to see the movies coming to end. I remember how empty I felt after reading the last Harry Potter novel and coming to the realization that it was really over... but I told myself I had the movies to look forward to... but now that’s no longer an option. I don’t know if I can go through this twice!

Then there are kids like my little sister, who grew up in the “Harry Potter” era.... it’s strange to think of a book in that way. I’m not sure their will every be another “Harry Potter.”

Laci and I will most likely be seeing this last movie together, even though it’s split in two parts... I think it holds a certain “full circle” aspect, it seems like the right thing to do.

I don’t know about you, but I can’t imagine my world without Harry.


--------------------

And that was the amazing Kristi. You can follow her BLOG for the latest in all YA novels.

Are YOU going to watch Harry Potter tonight? Or have you already seen it?

Let me know and until tomorrow,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to comment! I would love to hear your opinions about this blog!