Thursday, June 17, 2010

Nyxen's First Library Card

*Cowers in a corner*

You might be in a state of shock from the reading the title. I'll let you recover for a moment...

Okay, are you feeling okay? I hope so. I don't want this post to be the reason for your heart attack.

As the title says, I got my very first library card on Tuesday afternoon. I started thinking about plenty of things which led me to get a card. I was going to stay home this whole summer, nothing fun was happening and I was broke. Me being broke is the worst thing because I love to buy new books. But since I didn't have money, and the library was free I begged my Mama Nyxen to take me to the library. Well, we went and I was in awe. I've actually never been in library - besides school - and I have no idea why!

The library is an excellent place to read books, obviously, and to also study for major tests. I've always known that but it's fun to experience it first hand in a public library. I received a library card and immediately went to the Young Adult section. I spent quite some time there. I got three books (I'll show them in my IMM post) whilst my mom got sixteen. SIXTEEN! Can you believe that? But they weren't for her, they were for her preschool. Let's just say that I had fun in a library.

Libraries are cool. They have all types of books for all book lovers and if you don't have a library card, I suggest you get one, immediately. Libraries give you the chance to read the classics, science fiction, non-fiction, and even romance. It also expands your knoweledge in so many ways that you wouldn't regret picking up a book.

I still find it kind of horrible that at the age of almost fifteen I barely get a library card. I have been missing out. All I know is that the library will be my second home for the remainder of the summer. I'm so glad I live around the corner from it.

When did you get your first library card? Do you go to your public library often?
I want to know what you have to say.

--Nyxen

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I can't remember exactly when I got my own library card, but my family used to go all the time, ever since I was in elementary school. I stopped going when I got older (and read less) but since I'm reading (tons) more now, I'm there a lot more often. Actually, all but one of the books I've read recently I got at the library! I <3 libraries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's okay girl! I've had a library card as young as 5, but my parents knew reading was important to a growing child. I know my card expired for a long time from the end of middle school until I came home from my first semester of college and switched schools. I didn't start using it like an unending credit line of books until I started working at the local public library at 19 - so don't worry! Ever since them, I can't stop going. Even if I have over 300 books at home that I own that I need to read.

    I'm glad you've got your card now and make sure to make good friends with your teen library and if they don't have a book, they can get it for you or preorder books you really want to read and then they'll put you at the top of the list. I did a ton of that when I worked at the public library. I was like "um Ms. Teen Librarian, here's my list and can you make sure I'm #1?" lol.

    I <3 libraries and still work in a library - but an elementary school one. I'd love to work in a middle school one day though, definitely more my style of reading. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to comment! I would love to hear your opinions about this blog!