Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Nyxen Has Harmony From Harmony's Radiant Reads On The Blog

And we are on another day of Fairytale Week on Nyxen's Sidewalk Journey Through Life.

Today we have Harmony from Harmony's Radiant Reads. Let's go Harmony!

--------------------
Ever since you were little, you've heard all the fairy tales. Cinderella, Snow White, The Little Mermaid, Thumbelina, and so much more. I love reading re-tellings of my favorite fairy tales and when you find a good one, it just rekindles your love all over again!

1. Little Red Riding Hood:
Sister's Red by Jackson Pearce: Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris-- the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead. Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts fiercely alongside her. Now Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves and finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax-- but loving him means betraying her sister and has the potential to destroy all they've worked for.
It's by Jackson Pearce, so it's gotta be awesome right? It's a wonderful and dangerous take where instead of Red Riding Hood being a helpless girl, she's deadly and has an axe. AWESOME!

2. Beauty and the Beast:
Beastly by Alex Flinn: I am a beast. A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog, but a horrible new creature who walks upright - a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster. You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever - ruined - unless I can break the spell. Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and a perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly beastly.
This is also coming out as a movie so excitement! The book is really good and a nice, truthful take on Beauty and the Beast.

And finally, MY FAVORITE FAIRY TALE EVERRRR! The Twelve-Dancing Princesses:
Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George: Galen is a young soldier returning from war; Rose is one of twelve princesses condemned to dance each night for the King Under Stone. Together Galen and Rose will search for a way to break the curse that forces the princesses to dance at the midnight balls. All they need is one invisibility cloak, a black wool chain knit with enchanted silver needles, and that most critical ingredient of all-true love-to conquer their foes in the dark halls below. But malevolent forces are working against them above ground as well, and as cruel as the King Under Stone has seemed, his wrath is mere irritation compared to the evil that awaits Galen and Rose in the brighter world above.

I really did like this one because instead of the princesses going because they wanted too, in this book, they had too because of a curse. It was a new take on my favorite fairy tale!

What are some of your favorite fairy tales and retellings?

Thanks for having me Bianca!
-Harmony B.
--------------------
We have made it through another successful day! Did you like it? Drop by tomorrow to see even more exciting things!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to comment! I would love to hear your opinions about this blog!