Thursday, August 5, 2010

Nyxen's Review of "Uglies"

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
448 Pages
Simon Pulse 2005

EVERYBODY GETS TO BE SUPERMODEL GORGEOUS. WHAT COULD BE WRONG WITH THAT?
Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license-for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.

But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shat runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world-and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.


I adored Uglies! I bought this book last year as a last resort but this whole time I still hadn't read it. Until recently. This book is fascinating. Scott Westerfeld has created a world in which you would love to be apart of but at the same time not so much.

Tally is a regular fifteen year old who is awaiting to turn sixteen and pretty. In her world, anyone under sixteen is considered ugly. So Tally can't wait until her next birthday. But then she meets Shay. Shay is something different. She doesn't want to become pretty at all. She thinks it's worng for everyone to look the same, that being different(ugly) is nothing to be ashamed about.

Scott Westerfeld created a messed up world. A world which I loved very much. Everything word I read had meaning to it and the whole book in general was something that made me think even after I had put it down. I thought for a long time about the elements and morals of this story. Westerfeld has a way that gets you sucked in until you read the last page. And if that wasn't enough then waiting to read the sequel is even worse. All I know is that I thorougly enjoyed Uglies and can not wait to read the remaining books in the series.

I rate this book Five Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to comment! I would love to hear your opinions about this blog!