Monday, August 9, 2010

Nyxen's Review of "The Hunger Games"

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
274 Pages Paperback
Scholastic Press 2010

WINNING MEANS FAME AND FORTUNE.
LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.
THE HUNGER GAMES HAVE BEGUN. . . .


In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katnisss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But is she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.


The Hunger Games has taken all YA fantasy novels to the next level. To me, this has been the next best thing since J.K. Rowling and Harry Potter. It might even be better.

There are amazing elements in which I just loved dearly. Action, adventure, romance. It was hard not to fall in love with Collins's writing style. I just got sucked into the world of The Hunger Games and I just wished I could be apart of it. That sounds weird, doesn't it? It's true, though. I adored this book so much that when I finished it I was sad.

I have a confession to make. I never wanted to read it. I've heard of it and I've seen everywhere but for some strange reason I never picked it up. That always seems to be the case with me. I see books everywhere, some are just waiting to be read yet I never pick them up, let alone give them a second glance. I really hate when that happens because I just miss out on something so spectacular. But ever since I got into blogging I have been open to many doors in the YA world.

The Hunger Games was just the beginning. The plot is absolutely fascinating. The story follows Katniss Everdeen as she tries to survive The Hunger Games, after taking her little sister's place. There she encounters things she would have never expected to find. Especially love. Peeta Mellark is one of the tributes apart of The Hunger Games who is in the same district as Katniss. Peeta pours his heart and soul to Katniss, who doesn't know how to react. But I know she loves him too.

I just loved this book. Everything was amazing and I am now completely obsessed with this series. I am so jealous that I couldn't think of it. Suzanne Collins, I applaud you for writing such an incredible start to a series that will be unforgettable.

I highly recommend this book for anyone!

I rate this Five Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to comment! I would love to hear your opinions about this blog!