Monday, August 16, 2010

Nyxen's Review of "Evernight"

Evernight by Claudia Gray
352 Pages
HarperTeen

BIANCA WANTS TO ESCAPE.

At the eerily Gothic Evernight Academy, the other students are sleek, smart, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

When she meets handsome, brooding Lucas, he warns her to be careful - even when it comes to caring about him. But the connection between them can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart... and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.


SPOILERS AHEAD. READ AT OWN RISK.

I will be bluntly honest. I picked this book up for one reason and one reason only, the name. Seriously, you don't read any books with the name Bianca in it and since it's my name too I thought, "I must buy this immediately!" And I think my instincts told me right.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book immensely. Bahaha, look at me trying to sound smart. That sentence made no sense whatsoever.

When you pick up this book, and look at the cover, you can automatically tell it's a vampire novel. Maybe it was just me but that's what I thought. And the strangest thing is you don't find out it's about vampires until the end of chapter seven page 141. (I just looked that up right now. :P) At first, I didn't know what was going on but I loved how Claudia Gray kept me off of my seat through it all. You go through Bianca's life which is filled with twists and turns and unexplainable things. Gray's way of interpreting her life is really amazing and written magically.

The only thing that bugged me was Bianca, in a way. I guess she's just another vampire heroine who falls in love to quickly for her own good. When she first meets Lucas Ross at the beginning of the story, I could quickly tell she was attracted to him. And that's okay but I just didn't like that she yearned for him, that he was all she could think about. I think her expectations for him are way too high in the relationship category. And as much as I enjoyed Bianca and Lucas together, I felt that she didn't need to think about him almost 24/7. But don't worry! She doesn't actually only talk about him. I still recommend this book to anyone who loves vampires and love. Oh, and did I mention it has hints of being a forbiden love?

I rate this Four Stars.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't read much of your review because of the spoilers but I'm excited to read this book. Glad you liked it!
    Alison Can Read

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to comment! I would love to hear your opinions about this blog!