Tuesday, November 2, 2010

30 Days of Harry Potter (Day 2 - WORDforTeens)



We're onto our second day of this Epic month! Our first guest is Nicole from WORD for Teens. Let us see what she has to say about Harry Potter :D

--------------------
I'm not sure exactly when I fell in love with the Harry Potter series.

I don't remember how old I was when I started them; I don't remember how long I've owned them. I don't remember the moment they entered my life (though I do remember declaring Sirius Black my favorite character from the moment I met him, only to have Luna Lovegood replace him when I started the next book.)

But I do remember them always being there - a comforting presence, something I turned to when I needed to relax after a fight or a long day of school.

So when Nyxen said she was doing Harry Potter guest posts and let me be a part, I knew exactly what I was going to talk about.

It wasn't my favorite characters (though I am talking about that over at Pure Imagination later this month); it wasn't when I first realized the series would always be one of my favorites; it wasn't moments in the series that made me squee.

It was going to be on what the series inspired.

That's right, people.

This post is about the Harry Potter Alliance.

If you don't know what the HPA is, you're missing out on something truly amazing. The Harry Potter Alliance fights real world evils.

Their website puts it better than I ever could:

Did you ever wish that Harry Potter was real? Well it kind of is.
Just as Dumbledore’s Army wakes the world up to Voldemort’s return, works for equal rights of house elves and werewolves, and empowers its members, we: Work with partner NGOs in alerting the world to the dangers of global warming, poverty, and genocide. Work with our partners for equal rights regardless of race, gender, and sexuality. Encourage our members to hone the magic of their creativity in endeavoring to make the world a better place. Join our army to make the world a safer, more magical place, and let your voice be heard!



And now, as the first part of the seventh movies, they're starting their biggest campaign ever. Nine months ("kind of like an epic pregnancy!"), seven real world Horcruxes.


They're taking down the real world Death Eaters one Horcrux at a time.


I'm glad to say I'm helping.


The question is, my dear Harry Potter fans:


As you wait for the next movie
and buy the t-shirts
and talk to your friends


are YOU helping fight Voldemort?


Check out their website (http://www.thehpalliance.org/) or you could check out my chapter of the HPA (http://danewpaltz.yolasite.com). It's a great organization to be a part of.


Besides, who doesn't want to fight Voldemort*?


*Death Eaters excluded.

--------------------

That was an amazing post to kick off this big event!

You can see more of Nicole and what she has to say over at her BLOG.

I hope you enjoyed the beginning of an amazing month.

Until tomorrow,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to comment! I would love to hear your opinions about this blog!